Introduction to Becoming an Influencer
How can one become an opinion shaper? What does it take to become an influencer on social media and reach global audiences? Becoming a social media influencer doesn't just mean "being famous". There are many moving parts and you should know everything before diving in.
In this article, we'll talk about the following:
- How to become an Influencer
- How to turn your brand into a successful online influencer business
- How long does it take to become an influencer
- How hard is it to become an influencer
We'll also share some tips and insights to help you start quickly. Read through for insight!
Defining your niche and personal brand
It is crucial to find a niche. What type of content are you genuinely passionate about? Your most important assets are your passion, interests, skills, and hobbies. After identifying what kind of content you’ll create, think of your primary selling points.
Ask yourself these questions. What sets you apart? Think back to when something you did grabbed the attention of others. What can you do better than others? What makes you successful at what you do? After that, figure out your unique selling proposition (USP). Don’t forget about trends! Combine your USPs, talent, and current trends to shape your content. The goal is to stand out on your platform of choice once you start producing content.
Your weirdest quirks might become your most compelling features. For example, the way you talk, carry yourself, your opinions, your appearance – everything creates that ultimate personal brand. Finally, consistency is key. Once you find that voice of yours – start pouring content on all platforms until you reach the audiences who truly value your work.
What makes an influencer successful?
According to research, there are between 3.2 million to 37.8 million influencers on the internet. But.. what exactly is an influencer? Most people think that the amount of followers on your socials is what determines whether or not you’re an influencer. However, there are influencers with less than 5,000 followers who have turned their social content into steady income through brand partnerships.
In reality, an influencer is anyone who has the ability to change or ‘influence’ the purchasing decisions of their followers. These can be people who have a highly-niche audience. However, the key is that these followers trust the influencer and value his or her opinion.
That’s what makes an influencer – it’s never about the number of followers you have but more about how much your followers trust you and how they engage with your content. That’s why your personal brand is such an important asset.
Building a brand: why doesn’t it work for everyone?
No matter how many followers you gather through promotional campaigns or regular posting, you will only get the influencer status if your brand, values and opinion resonate with your audiences. The biggest problem that new creators face today is that their ability to build this personal brand is limited due to a lack of finance, reach, and knowledge.
Paysenger: Kickstart Your Journey to Becoming an Influencer
Most of the issues that new to medium-sized creators face when growing their following online can easily be fixed with the right tools. Paysenger is a social marketplace designed with new creators in mind. It fixes all of the problems faced by content creators, such as:
- Lack of funds.
- Lack of support from brands and sponsors (brands mainly choose to work for big names).
- Lack of financial support from the public (selling subscriptions on Patreon is becoming tedious. Creators today find it much harder to find financial supporters due to stagnation).
- Lack of proper tools – most creators are unaware of how to get financial support and how to build a brand.
Paysenger helps creators find supporters and obtain paid EGO tokens, the platform’s utility token for producing content.
- Creators on Paysenger can earn tokens for fulfilling paid content requests or providing exclusive subscriptions. In addition, every viral post pays you – effectively, providing you with a way to support your creativity financially.
- Influencers on Paysenger get paid by brands and sponsors to give shoutouts, create content in collaboration, and more.
- Experts on Paysenger get paid for giving advice or creating on-demand content.
- Users on Paysenger can also earn tokens for giving likes, commenting on videos, or supporting their favorite creators. With every token earned, you can purchase content from influencers and celebrities.
Tips for effective content creation and Curation
Content is king. Before getting started, have a content plan in place that sets you apart from the competition. You can use the following tips for effective content creation and curation:
- Plan your content: For timely content posting, you can use assistance from varying social media management software. Think carefully before posting and reconsider for better quality.
- Be authentic and relatable: Referring to personal experiences will help make your content look more human, relatable, and original to the audience. Transparency will appeal to your audiences, and you’ll create an emotional bond.
- Provide value and entertainment: Mix entertainment with education, inspiration, and wisdom. For example, sharing tips, giving recommendations and advice from personal experience can be highly engaging.
- Stay relevant and timely: Don’t forget to keep in touch with trends. Always leave references to trending topics in your content – this opens up room for conversation in comments. When participating in trending hashtags and challenges, do something unique to get some extra visibility.
- Experiment and iterate: Don’t hesitate to go against the trends sometimes. Go outside your comfort zone, and your audience will applaud you for your bravery. However, always listen to feedback when making tough decisions.
Growing your follower base organically
Organic followers are followers that are not bought. Building a community organically can be extremely challenging if you’re still new. However, with the right tools and attitude, people will draw closer to you if you create the right impression.
Use new platforms like Paysenger to get discovered easily. Mainstream platforms like YouTube have way too much competition. Paysenger is in its early growth phase – early adopters on the app are getting a lot more exposure now than they will a few months later. So don’t miss the chance!
Collaborate with other creators
Creators who share your values should not be considered enemies. Reach out to them and create content in collaboration – this will give you access to their audiences (who are already interested in the content you produce). It’s usually tough to reach out to creators because there’s simply way too much noise on the internet. By using Paysenger, you can send paid messages to creators who share your content style and values (you can look at them using filters) to get instant replies.
You can also send them paid content requests, for example, a request for a shoutout, without ever talking to them using Paysenger’s interface. The whole process is quite streamlined.
Engage with your audience
Every comment, question, and message on your socials is an opportunity to strengthen your bond with the community. A timely and thought-out response will help create a positive relationship with your followers and encourage them to support you further.
Leverage user-generated content
Support content created by followers and fans whose values resonate with your brand. This will strengthen the bond with the audience and attract more followers. User-generated content or UGC gets much more engagement – sometimes, paying people to create it for you for extra reach is worthwhile. You can order UGC easily from creators on Paysenger.
Never stop promoting yourself!
Use paid advertising, collaborate with other influencers, or do PR campaigns. Never stop promoting your work, and never be ashamed to do so. You spent hours and hours of creativity, so the content deserves to be seen by as many people as possible.
Examples of Influencers and How They Earn
Every influencer has a specific community that follows their content. Brands and other influencers can easily use their platform to reach this niche audience. Here are three examples of successful social media influencers:
- Kate McCulley, known as @adventourouskate on Instagram, is a solo female traveler listed under Forbes Top 10 Travel Influencer. She has traveled to over 83 countries and currently has over 100k followers. Since her content is travel-related, she mostly promotes travel destinations, resorts and hotels.
- JayzTwoCents, or Jason Langevin, formerly JaysVFX, is an American tech YouTuber known for his educational PC-building videos and experiments. He joined YouTube in 2012 and currently has 3.87M subscribers with over 2,000 videos. He gets sponsorship deals from companies in the gaming industry such as Razor and Nvidia.
- İlhan Eroğlu is a rising photographer on Instagram with an immaculate portfolio. Besides this, he is an ambassador @alphauniversebysony.eu and @fstopgear. With a total of over 833,000 followers, he competes with many renowned photographers on Instagram. He collaborates with other photographers and helps them find fame.
Monetizing your Influence
Earning Opportunities and Partnerships
Monetization is very important to build a steady stream of income for yourself and for your business. You need financial support to improve your content and grow as an influencer. Here are some common ways influencers make money.
Sponsoring means paying someone to sell your content. Brands and companies reach out to influencers all the time to make sponsorship deals. This is one of the main income sources for most influencers and this is where having a niche audience really puts you under the radar of potential sponsors.
Paid subscriptions or memberships
Create exclusive content, resources, or experiences for your most loyal followers and charge a monthly or annual subscription fee for access. You can use platforms like Paysenger, Patreon, or Ko-fi to set up exclusive content offers for your followers.
Sell on-demand content
This is a relatively new model, but it’s highly rewarding. You can earn money for producing content requested by users and get paid for fulfilling their orders.
On Cameo, if you have a decent following, you can take orders from people to produce birthday wishes, roasts, or other shoutout videos.
On Paysenger, you can take requests for all types of content, including photo posts, videos, audio, NFTs, and much more. You can even earn for replying to DMs and giving professional advice as an expert.
Affiliate links let you sell products of other brands and earn a cut. In addition, you can join relevant affiliate networks or programs to recommend products you believe in and have tried or tested yourself.
Product collaborations or licensing
Collaborate with brands or manufacturers to design, produce and sell your products, such as clothing, accessories, or merchandise, and earn a share of the profits or royalties.
Gumroad – a platform for influencers, lets you set up your very own merch store with a simple drag-and-drop interface.
Becoming an influencer is not an overnight success but a long-term journey that requires passion, dedication, and hard work. However, following the essential steps and tips in this guide, you can accelerate your growth, build a successful personal brand, and significantly impact your niche and industry.
If you’re a small-to-medium size content creator, use modern platforms like Paysenger to:
- Define your niche and personal brand
- Build an online presence
- Grow your follower base
- Build communities
- Collaborate with other influencers and brands
- Monetize your content
But also, remember to maintain your authenticity and credibility, stay true to your values and principles, and continuously learn and evolve as an influencer and a human being.
As you embark on your influencer journey, embrace the challenges, failures, and successes that come with it, and enjoy the process of continuous growth and self-discovery. And most importantly, use your influence for good, inspire others, and leave a positive legacy that will last beyond your digital footprint.
Start your influencer journey today on Paysenger. Define your niche and personal brand, and then start taking the first step toward becoming a valuable influencer!